Saturday, March 24, 2012

Godaconda evening blast...

Tuesday evening ride with the boys. Met up at Rich's place, got there early so caught z's for a few minutes, then a pit stop and we rode off to Pete's at 6pm. Loaded up the 8, us and Pete and his son Alistair who was on a single speed dirt jumper. Headed out to Taylors to meet up with the rest of the crew for one of the last evening rides in daylight before daylight savings ends. The crew turned out to be us, Steve, Matt, Wayne, Dallas, Tony and Warren, so 10 in all. We headed up the still closed but well ridden crocs tail, which is a great little sidle/climb and regrouped at the bottom of the 'Conda itself. Rich lead off, but had a small mechanical issue after a few hundred metres so I inherited the lead and pushed on. Was feeling OK considering the big effort on Sunday up Richardson. Kept a steady pace up to the Godley Head road and waited for the others again. Rich only about 15 to 20 seconds back, but then big gaps to the others. Was good to have a rest as the legs are still building up after being off the bike until fairly recently. Steve suggested taking the road around to the Evans Pass end of Godley to save time and ensure good light for the end of our ride. It was the first time I have ever ridden into the entry of Godley at speed. Flew into the first few corners then settled in to grind up the first steep section. I was informed there had been some work done on the top part of the first grunt up and I almost made it up. Next time I will try more entry speed. The old route was to rough to go up fast on a hard tail, so relied on great balance, power and line picking, making it very difficult, although I did manage it a few times. Everyone had a go and then we tried our luck on the next section. I tried the high line, but ran out of power and dabbed. Everyone else went low and seemed to do better, although only 1 or 2 made it all the way. I led off again, but got caught on a rock and Rich went past. Sat in behind him and we cruised the rest of the way up. Regrouped just before the top out of the worst of the cool wind and then headed over. Was a good bomb down and I managed to stay close to Rich, just dropping some time on the Teddington chip section I hate. Another regroup and we climbed again, this time I lead and cleaned the whole section before letting Rich go in front for the descent. Good ride down and I rode the PFMTBC rock tabletop for the first time. Quick regroup at the top of the 'Conda and down before dark. Had good speed, but no flow at all. Was about 3 or 4 seconds behind Rich all the way, but couldn't hit many jumps properly and felt off balance most of the time. I guess that's what happens when you don't ride it for ages. Another regroup and off out the Tail back to the carpark. Rode back to Rich's in the dark on back streets and then had awesome home made soup, bread and a Guinness to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment